Blog Archive

Thursday 7 April 2016

The Fifth Elephant by Terry Pratchett




This is definitely my favourite of the books I've read lately. Terry Pratchett has been one of my favourite writers well over 10 years and his Watchmen books just always make me happy. Who couldn't love Sam Vimes? Or creatures like black ribbon vampires who have sworn off human blood? Never a boring time with these guys.

This time Sam Vimes has to stop a war involving vampires and werewolves. It is an intense story but as always there is some humour in it. What really amused me was Igors. They are a clan of servants that all share the same name. Somehow they always know which Igor they are talking about though which confuses Vimes and causes some lovely breaks in the story. 

I had a hard time putting this book down which meant reading until I fell asleep. Sam Vimes and his wife Sybil are just so great together. Just because Sybil has  grown up proper doesn't mean she's anyway frail. She also always seems tok now what to do no matter how weird the situation is. I wish I more like her.

Sergeant Angua is very deliciously werewolf and I learned things I hadn't even thought of before. She is a big part trying to prevent the war as one of the hotheads is her brother. What I didn't realize was that werewolf is kind of like an half elf. Not accepted by either side. They are too human or too wolf. It's a sad situation to be in. Also can you imagine how horrible a bad hair day is for a werewolf?

Discworld books are the type of books I can read ten times over and not get tired of them. It's sad there won't be any new stories to read but at least we got a huge world to live in. Pratchett did an amazing job with it and reading one of his books feels like going home every time. I will definitely need to hunt down the books I'm missing.

No comments:

Post a Comment