Blog Archive

Monday 18 April 2016

Angels Fall by Nora Roberts



I can't remember if I've ever read any of Roberts books before. Back in high school my mum used to like her but I labeled her books as romantic nonsense. Angels Fall was one of the books my aunt left behind and I decided to give it a try. Especially since it seemed to have more to it than just romance.

Angels Fall follows Reece Gilmory who is the sole survivor of a brutal crime. What that crime was isn't revealed for a while which kind of frustrated me because I'm a curious person. I wanted to know what made this woman so scared and paranoid she couldn't stay in one town for a long time and kept changing her identity. She couldn't even sleep unless she was sure all the doors and windows were locked and there was a chair pushed against the bedroom/apartment door.

At the beginning Reece ends up in a town called Angels Fist. She gets a job as a cook in a diner which is owned by a tough woman called Joanie. While working there Reece meets eyes with a broody but irresistable Brody. When Reece goes on a hike and witnesses a murder that no one else sees, Brody is practically the only one to believe her. Soon after the incident weird things start happening to Reece that make other townies to believe that she is just a jittery newcomer seeing things that aren't there. With Brody she starts figuring out if the murder really did happen and who were the people involved.

I read this 500 pages long book in 2 days. It was just easy to get into it for hours and I really got interested in all the characters. From the diner owner and her waitress to the real cowboy customer, sheriff and the doctor they were all interesting people contributing to the story. What bugged me the most however was Brody. He was dealing with a woman with panic attacks due to the brutal crime and I didn't like how he handled it. Everytime Reece was getting upset or started hyperventilating Brody told him to quit because he doesn't deal with fragile or soft women. He only likes tough women. If I had an anxiety attack and my boyfriend told me to quit just because he doesn't like weak women I doubt I'd be dating him for long. That is just my opinion though as Brody's approach seemed to work in the book.

The plot was interesting enough and I really rooted for Reece as she didn't have an easy life. Especially after witnessing murder and thinking all the weird things happening around her was something she was doing unconsciously . Instead of someone trying to mess with her.Also as always the romantic plot moved forward ridiculously fast but that's a problem I feel like most romance novel have. For me it's hard to buy a romance where you say I love you and practically move in together in 2 months because you just know your relationship is the real deal. Maybe I'm just cynical but it would be nice to see slower romances where sex isn't the only thing keeping them together at the beginning.

Overall Angels Fall was an easy read and it was a pretty good book. The ending was fine and even though I figured out the murdered before the reveal I still enjoyed it. I probably won't read this book again but it provided nice 2 days in a small American town where people know each other and help each other. I wish there were more of those types of towns in real life.

No comments:

Post a Comment