Blog Archive

Friday 15 July 2016

Batman by Craig Shaw Gardner



                                          Have you ever danced with the devil in the pale moonlight?

Here is the novelization of the blockbuster Warner Brothers summer movie of 1989, Batman, from the author of The Lost Boys movie tie-in and the Ebenezzum fantasy series. Stars Jack Nicholson, Michael Keaton and Kim Basinger. Original.

I don't know where to start. I don't think I've ever read a novelization of a movie before and it feels weird. I saw Batman as a kid and don't think I've seen it since. It was a pretty good movie and I loved Jack Nicholson's Joker. All I ever remember is the Joker falling in the poison and his catchphrase "Have you ever danced with the devil in the pale moonlight?" he likes to say everyone before he kills them.

If you've seen the movie you know what this book is about. How Joker was born from Napier, Bruce Wayne dated a reporter called Vicki while trying to be Batman and keep his identity as a secret and what chaos Joker caused. It's darker than Batman stories used to be.

The book is surprisingly good. I'm not sure it was necessary but if you love reading and Batman then this probably works for you. It keeps you on your toes and makes you interested in Joker. I found him to be more fascinating than Batman if I'm honest. He was the main reason I liked the book. Vicki and Harvey Dent for example weren't something I invested in as characters and it made me a little sad. I'm probably biased though as I've never been a huge Batman fan. I like him but billionare superhero thing isn't really my thing.

Overall it's easy to read book that you will be done in few hours. It will keep you entertained and invested. It shows superhero stories can be dark and work well. Which seems to be the popular direction these days. Not sure I'll read it again but it's still nice to have.

No comments:

Post a Comment