Blog Archive

Monday 16 May 2016

The Killing Edge by Heather Graham




This is one of those books I'm not sure where I got them from. Don't think I've read anything from Graham but this claims she is a bestseller. After 10 first pages I already disagreed with it.

The killing edge starts with teens party gone horribly wrong. All but 4 kids got brutally murdered in their sleep and the only reason why these 3 survived was because girl named Chloe happened to wake up and save them. Book fast forwards 10 years and we find out police thinks they solved the case by finding a dead killer with a suicide note.

10 years after a swimsuit model disappears and Chloe who is now psychologist spesialiced in trauma victims is worried the killer is targeting modeling agency. Then she sees the girl's ghost and decides to investigate the case herself. Conviently enough her friend, one of the 3 survivors, is a model there so she has way to insert herself to the agency. At the same time private investigator appears and after a while they work together to find the murderer.

From the beginning the author makes it clear that Chloe has build a wall around her and doesn't let anyone in. Of course meeting this private investigator, Luke, makes her feel things she didn't think was possible. Same happens to Luke and I suffered through horrible "will they, won't they" routine for a while. I say horrible because there was no build up it was literally just either Chloe or Luke thinking "I can't like that person, I'm so closed up, I can't, I have suffered in my life, why do I want them" all the time until inevitable happened. I was not surprised to find out you can buy this book from harlequin site because the so called romance reminded me of those books. Sex scenes were even worse, I'm just happy they weren't long or I'd skipped a lot of reading.

The story involved mostly of Chloe and the rest of the survivors with Luke pretending to belong in the fashion industry. A lot of it happened in the agency or the island most of the shoots seemed to go on. I can't say I came to care about the secondary characters, even Chloe's over protective uncle seemed really one dimensional. The killer/killers were your average "I'm helping this world by getting rid of these people" kind of murderers . I guess I have read too many books and seen too many horror movies to really be affected how brutal those killing were supposed to be. Making religion as the reason is boring and overused for me so I didn't care for too much for the motive at the end.

The plot was still okay, I never guess who the murderer is and it took me a while to figure the person out. I kind of accepted Chloe seeing ghosts that help her as a plot device even though I do not believe in ghosts myself. Without them I guess the book would have been even more bland. There was alot of rituals and mysticism thrown in. Cults seem to be popular theme in crime novels and this really wasn't a great example for corporating them in a fascinating story.

Over all it was a fast albeit awkward read that I won't be going through again. The writing just didn't hook me in and didn't feel like bestseller level to me at all. I guess I'm really not the audience for her even if I am a fan of thrillers. I much read my Agatha Christie books over and over again.

No comments:

Post a Comment