Blog Archive

Sunday 19 June 2016

Evil under the sun by Agatha Christie



First I have to admit as much as I love Agatha Christie, I really don't care for Poirot. Murder mysteries seem to intrigue me more and more these days but I prefer Ms Marple anyday. That said it's clear I didn't get into this book very open minded.

"Set at the Jolly Roger, a posh vacation resort for the rich and famous on the southern coast of England, Evil Under the Sun is one of Agatha Christie’s most intriguing mysteries. When a gorgeous young bride is brutally strangled to death on the beach, only Hercule Poirot can sift through the secrets that shroud each of the guests and unravel the macabre mystery at this playground by the sea. "

Evil under the sun actually surprised me. Poirot wasn't as insufferable as I remembered so he didn't suck out the enjoyment for me. I really liked how all the characters had little blurbs at the beginning so you didn't get people mixed up that easily.  There was also a little map about the island that helped you better understand the scene of the murder. I have sometimes trouble visualizing maps so this was probably my favourite detail.

I don't have a lot to say about the plot.Poirot doesn't seem to do a lot apart from observing people and chatting a lot. His keen eyes spot every little detail that no one else even consideres useful. That is Hercule Poirot for you. Like usually I couldn't figure out the murderer  beforehand but isn't that why we read these books? I fell in love with few of the characters and felt sorry for few as well.

I think this will be a book I keep and maybe even read again after I've forgotten how everything turned out. I just love how neatly everything comes together and how ordinary little things are the most valuable clues. I would recommend it if you like this genre or Agatha in general. Even if you can't usually stand Poirot.

No comments:

Post a Comment