Blog Archive

Tuesday 3 May 2016

Nanny Returns by Nicola Kraus & Emma Mclaughlin



This book is a sequal to Nanny diaries so if you haven't read the first book or don't want spoilers this is your warning. I will try to avoid bigger spoilers.

The writers of these books are both former nannies and they satirize upper class Manhattan society as seen through the eyes of the nannies. Apparently some of the people in the books like the employer is modelled after some real people these women met. If that's true Im' glad I'll never get to see that society as it just sounds like hell.

I haven't read the first book I've only seen the movie and while reading Nanny returns I realized there are some differences. So if I ever find the first book I will probably buy it. In Nanny diaries Nan is employed by Mrs. X due to a misunderstanding where Mrs. X thought Nan said she was nanny instead her name being Nan. Nan ends up looking after little Grayer who hates her at first because anyone he loves just leaves him. Of course Nan can't be a nanny for him for the rest of her life so by end of the first book she's not working for Mrs. X anymore and feels guilty over abandoning Grayer .

Nanny returns is set 12 years after where Nan married the Harward Hottie ( HH ) from the first book and she is back in New York after moving around all those years. The couple buys a home they start renovating while Nan tries to set up her consulting business when HH gets send overseas thanks to his job for UN. This leave Nan renovating the house alone, working at a school where no adult seems to care for the kids and having Grayer back in her life when he drunkenly stumbles at her doorstep one night.

From that night on Nan is sucked in the X family's drama and it is just quite unpleasant to read. Between the bratty rebellious Grayer and the teachers and parents at school I didn't know which person I'd want to slap first to get some sense into them. Grayer is mad at Nan for leaving him even though it wasn't her choice. She feels guilty still 12 years later so during this book she does whatever she can to please the boy while he keeps disrespecting her. It was really difficult to relate to Nan. She is also strained with her husband because HH wants kids, Nan doesn't feel ready and they can only talk rarely because UN business is very hush hush.

Throughtout the story Nan acts as a mom to Grayer and his little brother Stilton who sees his big brother as his role model. She tries to help them and be there for them when the boys parents are going through a vicious divorce. Making it even worse it seems like neither of the parents truly want the kids so at times they'd be sleeping on the streets if it weren't for Nan. The whole thing about rich people not caring for their kids is awful in this book. Never understood why they would have children in the first place. Even at work at the school Nan only meets parents who care more about their reputation and vacations than the health of their kids. So yeah, very frustrating to read. There wasn't a lot of bright points at all, it seemed like one misery lead to another one with very brief happy breaks. Of course the end had some sunny moments so you feel like maybe there's hope everything turns for the better but who knows. The only person I really cared for was Stilton as it was heartbreaking to think he might grow up just like Grayer, hating all the adults for leaving them and thinking he can only trust himself at 16 years old.

I was disappointed in Nanny returns honestly because I really loved Nan and HH in the movie and I figured a sequal would show them together. But instead the husband was barely in the book as he didn't come back until the very end. It was all about drama and it made the book very tiring to read. I was constantly hoping for a punching bag so I can vent my anger towards these people that weren't even real. At the end I am happy I read it but I doubt I will read it again.

No comments:

Post a Comment