Blog Archive

Sunday 7 May 2017

Fablehaven #1 by Brandon Mull

"For centuries mystical creatures of all description were gathered into a hidden refuge called Fablehaven to prevent their extinction. The sanctuary survives today as one of the last strongholds of true magic. Enchanting? Absolutely. Exciting? You bet. Safe? Well, actually, quite the opposite.

Kendra and her brother, Seth, have no idea that their grandfather is the current caretaker of Fablehaven. Inside the gated woods, ancient laws keep relative order among greedy trolls, mischievous satyrs, plotting witches, spiteful imps, and jealous fairies. However, when the rules get broken -- Seth is a bit too curious and reckless for his own good -- powerful forces of evil are unleashed, and Kendra and her brother face the greatest challenge of their lives. To save their family, Fablehaven, and perhaps even the world, Kendra and Seth must find the courage to do what they fear most." 

I think Fablehaven series was the first books Mull has written but I could be wrong. The world reminds me of Harry Potter with all the fantastic beasts it has. Some I've heard of and some were completely new. I loved the fairies and they had a part in pretty much every book. Each book provides new creatures and people you get to know. Story expandes through 5 books so if you are looking for a series to spend your time with then maybe check your local library for Fablehaven.

I read the 5 books back to back. I liked them but didn't love them. Seth was constantly reckles and causing trouble which caused me to figuratively bang my head on my desk. I related with Kendra probably because I don't like breaking rules. I'd be excited to meet all the new creatures though, even zombies. My issue was that 3/4 of the books were kind of a slow read for me. The last 100 pages I practically swallowed. Not everyone has the patience for that which is understandable. The writing was fine but it wasn't really nothing special. I'm glad I read these but I'm not sure I'd want to re-read them. Characters were kinda one dimensional and only few really grew on me. I was a little sad when I was finished but I didn't feel empty, like I do after an amazing book.

I was surprised how dark the series got. It is aimed for younger people but it doesn't shy away from death or betrayal. First book teaches you what happens to fallen fairies and it is not pretty. The insident also made me dislike Seth. I think he gets off way too easily considering what his role is in these books. I have very low tolerance for characters who's only job is to rebel and never listen. All in all character growth seemed a little weak over all. I guess I'd say the experience was mediocre. If arpund 500 or more pages per book doesn't scare you and you feel like you've read everything, Fablehaven can provide some nice afternoons. Just don't expect it to change your world the way Harry Potter or Lord of the rings did.


No comments:

Post a Comment