Blog Archive

Monday 23 May 2016

Anybody out there? by Marian Keyes



I've read some of Keyes' books before  and I've always enjoyed them. Anybody out there? is the 4th installment of the Walsh family books. Each book focuses on one of the sisters and this time the main character is Anna who is described as a wreck. She is mentally and physically broken and back living with her parents. She desperately wants to go back to New York, to her husband and her job.  Since she is recovering from a horrible acr accident she is forced to stay at home for quite a while. She gets annoyed by her parents and her sister Helen who announces she is going to be private investigator. Everyone tells her to keep resting but she leaves for New York as soon as she was able. All she cares is her husband.

When Anna gets to their apartment in NY she realizes her husband isn't at home. She goes to work earlier than she is supposed to as she just can't stay alone in that empty apartment. Every morning she sends an email to her husband Aidan and listens to his voicemail message. Until around page 200 you won't know what happened to Aidan since it takes that long for Anna to admit it. As a reader it is obvious long before this reveal but it doesn't mean it's any less heartbreaking.

Throughout the book Anna keeps looking for her husband, unsure of where he is. She goes to desperate measures just to make sure he is okay. She meets people who can talk with spirits and gets to know other people in her situation. I don't believe in spirits so a lot of time I just wondered how naive Anna is. But maybe if I were in her shoes I'd do the same thing, chase the impossible.

The books is almost 600 pages long but it is a very quick read. The story sucked me in even though I remembered I've read it before years ago. All the new people Anna meets are interesting to me and even the emails between Anna and her family keep me entertained. Especially her mother sending constant updates about a woman who forces her dog to pee and poop on their yard. Why would she do that? Does she hate someone from the Welsh family? There are times when Walsh's get on my nerver but what family wouldn't. I'm still not sure if all those emails from Helen bout her P.I. jobs were supposed to be true or did she just use her imagination since they were rather movie like at times. I mean what kind of a fresh P.I. with no expertise would get mixed up with the mafia?

Over all I enjoyed the book and will most likely keep reading Keyes' books if I stumble upon them. They are great for fluffy reading when you just need to relax. Especially during there hot summer days when your thoughts seem to slow. They are interesting and funny and sad and usually leave you with a good feeling. Even something as heartbreaking as Anna's journey ended nicely and was handled well. Definitely worth a read if all you want is a feel good book.

No comments:

Post a Comment