Blog Archive

Sunday 28 January 2018

Reader's block

I do not know if it's a thing but that's just what I call it. That feeling when you want to read but just can't get yourself to do it. Or it takes weeks, even months to finish a book that's actually good but you just don't have the motivation to read. That's how it's been for me for the past few years. Which is partly why I joined the Reading challenge.

As a kid I pretented to write and read my own books when I didn't know how to do either. I was just excited to be a part of that magical journey that is a book. In elementary school, inspired by my friend, I started bringing a book with me and reading it during recess. I've usually had a book with me ever since where ever I go. Bus rides used to be my favourite reading time. Something about the way the bus moved and having your own little nook made it really peaceful. During high school I read about 100 books a year. How I managed that with all the school work, friends and other hobbies I do not know. Lately it's been a struggle to read 12 books a year.

When I joined HelMet reading challenge last year I was hoping to finish it. 1 book a week, most of them with a theme I wouldn't normally choose so I would have to be very open minded. I was hoping it would get me out of my reading rut. It did in a sense. I never finished the challenge but I did read 44 / 50 books I put as my goal on Goodreads. I got so busy before Christmas that I fell of the wagon but I'm still happy about how many I actually read.

Looking back I endured reading quite a few books that just weren't for me. Like all of Immortal instruments. I can see why teens would love it but it was a struggle for me to get through them. Same with the very first book of the year which talked about Finland's former president's hunting and fishing trips sprinkled with some politics. I'm glad it had so many pictures as I was not interested in how many and how big fish Kekkonen got during these trips. Especially when he apparently lied in his notes.

It wasn't all bad though. Michael Crichton books I read were great. Same with Stephen King as always. I even finally read Planet of the apes. I'm not sure what my reading journey looks like this year after I'm done with Potter books but I'm hoping it tops last year.

Happy reading everyone!

No comments:

Post a Comment